17 March 2018

BEE BEE SEA IN SHORT

Bee Bee Sea
Photography by Eleonora C. Collini

Hailing from Castel Goffredo, a small town in the Mantua province, with their infectious rhythms and loud, tweaky guitars, Bee Bee Sea are quite possibly the most interesting act in the Italian psych-garage scene of the last decade.

Following the release of their self-titled debut album in 2015 and the 3 Songs & Jacques Dutronc EP in 2016, the band’s sophomore LP Sonic Boomerang came out via Dirty Water Records USA (cassette, digital) and Wild Honey Records (vinyl) last November.

While their self-titled was a collection of pop-inflected garage-punk songs, inspired by acts like Thee Oh Sees and The Black Lips with whom the band have previously toured, for Sonic Boomerang the Italian trio went for a more psychedelic, slightly experimental sound, opting for less classic song structures and beautifully textured instrumental sections. With the only exception of the last track (“I Shouted II”), all songs were performed on stage before being recorded in studio, which has given the album a more dynamic, live feel.

Ahead of their UK stage debut at The Lock Tavern and Test Pressing Festivals next month, we had a quick chat with singer and guitarist Damiano Negrisoli to get to know a little more about the band and what is behind their music.

Three words to describe our music
Messy. Weird. Edgy

Favourite ever film...
“There is Something about Mary”

Favourite instagram account...
@accidentalcaps

The best venue I’ve played...
Horst Klub, in Kreuzlingen, Switzerland

The song I can’t listen to...
“Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns ‘N’ Roses

The worst job I've ever had…
Working in an Indian restaurant near Marble Arch, London

My favourite meal to cook...
Pasta with everything I can find in the fridge

If I was in a tribute band it would be...
The Byrds

My favourite word…..
Seattle

If I had a superpower I’d want it to be….
To turn water into wine

If I could play a gig anywhere it would be...
In a Kebab place

I think you should listen to…
Uranium Club, a garage punk band from Minneapolis

If I could see anyone play live it would be…
Iggy Pop and the Stooges back in the 70s


Bee Bee Sea are playing at The Lock Tavern Festival on the 1st April and Test Pressing Festival on the 28th April

Originally published on London in Stereo

 -------
For more Music and Photography updates please like my Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment